Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) runs an extensive inspection and maintenance program to ensure safe operation of the natural gas system and gas service to your home.
As part of the gas system maintenance program, PG&E has contracted with Underground Construction to perform regular gas meter inspections to look for corrosion (rust). If we identify a meter with corrosion, PG&E will repair and/or replace the meter as necessary.
You can verify our presence in your neighborhood by calling PG&E’s customer service line at 1-800-PGE-5000.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- During inspections, you may see our employee on or near your property to access your meter. Our work will not affect your gas service.
- We will visually inspect your gas meter and meter components to verify and identify possible areas of corrosion. We will use a mobile device to record our inspection and to take photos of the meter ID, piping and the entire meter set.
- If we cannot easily access your meter, we will record the access issue in our mobile device, and PG&E will schedule an appointment for access at later date.
- You will receive additional notice if PG&E needs to make any repairs or schedule a follow up inspection.
- Our inspectors will be in safety gear with the PG&E logo and carry both PG&E and Underground Construction photo identification, which they will be happy to present upon your request.
Click here to view photos of our inspectors: AC Inspectors
We will conduct meter inspections from March to October 2016 throughout PG&E’s service territory. Our inspections will occur Monday through Thursday, 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
ACCESS TO YOUR METER
We need easy access to your gas meter. If we are unable to access your meter, PG&E will contact you to arrange for access to inspect your meter at a later date.
- Routine safety inspection and photos of your gas meter
- We do not need access to the inside of your home
- You do not need to be home for our inspection
- We need easy access to your gas meter
- There will be no interruption in gas service
- This is part of PG&E’s gas system maintenance program
- We are contracted by PG&E to perform these inspections